Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pillows #1 and #2

The Creative Challenge has begun! Remember this daunting but darling photo....

...so cute {but what was I thinking!}

Well, I have made my first two pillows successfully!
They are not exactly like the picture above but I went with what material I had on hand for most of this project. I am happy with how they have turned out and surprised at how easy these two were to make. Below is an online tutorial on how to make these pillows. So you too can be surrounded by soft, cute, resting places for your head!

Materials you need:
scissors
tape measure
fabric {sized to cover the pillow of your choice}
cross stencil {I made mine out of cardstock - each edge is 3 inches making the total length and width 9 inches from end to end}
sharpie or pen
sewing machine
sewing pins
pillow
Step 1: Measure your pillow. Add 1/4 of an inch to each sides measurement. Cut two pieces of fabric to the measurement needed.



step 2: Create your cross stencil. Trace it onto the wrong side of your material with sharpie. Cut out.
Note - My cross stencil was a 9X9 cross because I think that size looked best on my 18X18 pillow but make your cross to your liking and size for your pillow. You will see that on my second pillow I did two crosses. For the top layer cross {smaller one}, I just stenciled out my 9X9 cross and cut a little bit further in on the material to make it smaller but still proportionate. 




















Step 3: If you are doing a layered cross, sew the top layer cross onto the bottom layer cross. If you are only doing one cross then pin it to the right side of one of your pillow sides and sew it together.



Step 4: Pin together your two pillow sides with the right side of the material facing inward. Sew along three of the four edges. 

                     

 Note: I like to double stitch my edges. You don't have to but I think it makes for a stronger hold on your seams.


Step 5: Pull your material out the open end so that everything is now right side out. Stuff your pillow into the open end of your pillow case.
                                     

 Step 6: Pin the open side so it's closed. Now, you can either hand stitch your seam here or if you have the space, you can run it under your sewing machine. I ran it under my sewing machine. Take the pins out as you go.



All done! Amy and I would love to see any one's finished product of their pillow so be sure to send us a picture of how it turns out.

Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Also, I will never have a handmade pillow to show you. I would like to, of course, but let's be real. I did just order this one from Etsy, though: http://www.etsy.com/listing/70155054/free-shipping-gray-and-mustard-yellow?ref=mt

    ReplyDelete