Thursday, March 24, 2011

Favorite Friday


It’s my turn for Favorite Friday. As mentioned last week, I was immersed with an event at work, and like most of you, when we get caught up in busyness, life shifts, and we forget or overlook what’s really important. As I was pondering what to write this week, 
I decided to take a different approach with my post which in turn will highlight why my “favorite thing” is actually a moment in time. 

These moments can be as real and tangible as any object or things we possess.
 I want to share with you a personal story. When my husband Blake and I were first married, we rushed away from home, moved to Colorado Springs, and bought our home. We have very different ideas on home décor and style. His could be a couple of concrete blocks for chairs when I was planning on being surrounded by rich Mahogany. 
Our differences quickly became evident in our first fight.

Since he was the man and self proclaimed chief of handiwork, he had the minor job of installing hardware in the bathrooms. He asked my opinion on where he should hang this towel holder, assuming he needed or valued my vote. I told him where I thought it should go and gave him brilliant reasons yet he pragmatically contradicted every point. 
Please keep in mind that I was still on the blissful newly-wed high. 
 So it came as quite a shock that my beloved husband did not agree with me. 
As I choked down this reality and my ego was circling the drain…
I realized I was offended. I recall that my exact words were, 
“Why do you ask for my opinion if it doesn’t matter?” 

Of course that wasn’t the end of it, but to make a long story short, after 4 years in our home, that towel holder has yet to be installed. It sits in cupboard mere inches from where it should be perched. I keep it as a reminder that no matter what our differences, 
the woman always wins…just kidding.

I just wanted to share this story to remind us all that the important & best things in life aren’t always objects, but moments. So, don’t let those moments go unnoticed or forgotten. Write it down or find something that will always remind you of your “favorite things”.  Every time I see that towel holder, I am reminded on how much Blake and I have grown in our marriage. 



Always remember your favorite moments by writing them down. 
Forget the expensive journals. 
I love getting a few of these old-school composition notebooks.
They cost less than a $1.50 each. They have a hard cover and are thin...
great for traveling or carrying around in your diaper bag.
This way your favorite moments will always be remembered.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment