Monday, March 28, 2011

Creative Project & Tutorial

I hope that you all had a great weekend!

Last week I was talking to a friend, Brandy, about a project that she saw on HGTV. She is expecting her 2nd child and is dreaming about a nursery. Fun! The project: a white wall where the host of the show added a large sticker of a branch, painted over it, then removed the sticker to show a white branch against a now colored wall. As you can imagine it has a dramatic effect and seems easy enough. So as Brandy and I got to talking about it we wondered....if the sticker was something made by the host or if it was a purchased wall sticker that are so popular these days, how hard it might be to do and how well it might turn out - up close.

Well, not having a blank wall to practice on I decided to give it a try on canvas! Which lead me to my weekend project. Turns out that I think you can use the popular stickers you see in most hobby stores {so your designs are limitless}, it was very easy and you can be proud to show it off to others.

Here is a step by step guide:

Supplies you will need: canvas {mine was a 5X7 flat canvas}, sticker of your choice, paint, paint brush

Start with canvas on newspaper or something you can get paint on.

Peel sticker.

Place sticker where you want it on your canvas.

I painted my sides first so that I wouldn't have to touch the surface of the canvas after it was wet with paint.

Close up of edge.

Start painting. Paint over sticker edges.

Paint entire canvas - right over the sticker.

Leave sticker and paint together for five minutes - then peel sticker off.

You are left with a dramatic silhouette. Note: My edges are a little overun with paint. I don't like anything to perfect, but if you want you can go over the inside with white paint and make the edges smooth.


My finished product! I did three of them because it ended up being so easy and fun. You could attach them to a ribbon and hang them in a grouping as I did here.

 So, Brandy, I think it can be done - large or small scall, wall or canvas.

If anyone gives this project a try, be sure to send us your pictures. I'd love to see what variations you come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Whoohooo! I should've known you'd find a way! I can't wait to try it. Thanks, Kels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Fabulous idea guys! :) Would love to see this on a wall too.

    ReplyDelete