Thursday, May 5, 2011

Favorite Friday! REpurposing

If you are like me then sometimes you find it hard to see an object for anything other than its intended use. But repurposing can be a very handy tool when it comes to decorating your home or a project that needs a little extra imagination. I hope to be able to show you some repurposing ideas here on the blog so that you might be inspired to take a second look at whatever has been staring you down!

I've mentioned before my dislike for the current state of my bedroom. There are definitely pieces in it I love....like our sleigh bed or my blue velvet curtains, but it isn't really pulled together for one great look. But probably my favorite portion of my bedroom is a ledge up near the ceiling that is a dream for any seasoned decorator {someone I am not!} So I called my mom into help!

We went shopping....and found some really great heavy, stone planters for my backyard deck - not for my ledge! But when we got home and found ourselves staring with a blank face towards the ledge, my mom brilliantly suggested using the stone planters for my ledge instead of for regular plants on the porch - a repurpose. I thought it was a GREAT idea! So we came up with the decor for my ledge and I was so pleased at how it turned out that I haven't changed it at all.

Here are a few photos of the ledge:
{sorry, I couldn't get the entire ledge in one photo, the ceiling fan kept getting in the way!}

Left to middle


Middle to right


As you will notice, we do have speakers on the ledge as well. Although not my favorite decor item, I really don't even notice them and when I can hear music in my entire house, I'm thankful to have them there. We also, have rope lighting on our ledge that comes on at night and gives a soft glow to each room which I love so much more than turning on a regular room light.

Here are a few close-ups:


Pic. 1



Pic. 2



Pic. 3


Everything besides the stone planters I've had in my decor collection that's been gathered over the years.

As I've been looking at these pictures I realized that there are a few decorating tips that I can also share with you in addition to showing you how outside stone planters can be used for inside decorations.

:: Be sure to use all sides and surfaces for a unique dimensional look. 
 {Pic. 1 - one of the planters is on it's side which helps the look to not be all the same}

::Use containers of all shapes and sizes.
{Pic. 1, 2 & 3 - some planters are round, square, short, tall, etc.}

:: Green foliage can help fill in anywhere but don't be afraid to use different varieties, textures, and shades of green.
{Pic. 1, 2 & 3 - since I was using what I had on hand everything was different, but it helps it appear more like a natural garden}

:: Don't be afraid to let things hang over the edge...or stand up tall....or lean over.
{Pic. 1 & 2 - when branches or leaves break a horizontal line it relaxes your eyes and makes is so nothing looks out of place but instead natural}


This is, I'm sure, just one of the many things that can be done with stone planters but for now....I love them where they are. If you have a favorite "repurpose" - please share!



No comments:

Post a Comment